Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Still Relevant After All These Years


Everything I need to know I learned from Simon and Garfunkel. My 15-year-old daughter loves Simon and Garfunkel. If ever someone taught me right from wrong, flighty from deep, it's Paul and Art. Mostly, I am a much better person and mother for their words and harmonies...maybe 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover I didn't need to take so much to heart...

If only all of my parenting could have come with perfect harmony and infinite wisdom. Oh well. I firmly believe Paul and Art have helped to raise Hannah into the gentle, loving human being she is becoming. Is this why she loves their music? Does she recognize the soulful genius that pierced her mother’s soul also at the age of 15? It’s possible, isn’t it? These two men have theoretically raised thousands of people.

And, here's to you, Hannah:

“And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains

Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the mornin' last.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence
"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you

I got no deeds to do, no promises to keep.
Ba da da da da da da, feelin' groovy.

Just slip out the back, Jack, make a new plan, Stan
…and get yourself free

I wish I was,
Homeward bound,
Home where my thought's escaping,
Home where my music's playing,
Home where my love lies waiting
Silently for me.


All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest.

But all my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness in harmony I need someone to comfort me.

Ba da da da da da da, feelin' groovy.

Jesus loves you more than you will know.

Time it was and what a time it was it was
A time of innocence a time of confidences.
Long ago it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you.”

Their words came back to them in shades of mediocrity? How could this be?

If Hannah disturbs the silence even once or listens for more than she wants to hear and on occasion sings
“Ba da da da da da da, feelin' groovy.” That will be all good.

Well, then there's Cat Steven's:

"Ooh Baby, baby it's a wild world. I'll always remember you like a child girl.

Exactly, Hannah. You and me both.

No comments:

Post a Comment